Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Things are different here. . .

- You bag your own groceries.  The cashier places some open bags at the end of the register so you can fill them.  They also have seats at the register so they don't have to stand all day.  We certainly didn't have these when I worked at Target. . .
- People don’t seem to have strict time schedules.  It’s more of a “go with the flow” way of life. It will happen when it happens.  Que sera sera.
- People are so nice here.  I have had no problems stopping and asking for directions.  In the States people would probably just ignore you.
- Movie theatres have assigned seats.  And serve beer and wine.  AWESOME!  My roommate and I went down to Ashton Street in the West End and were so confused when asked where we wanted to sit.  Oh, and the seats are amazing; like plush lounge chairs.  They also play ten minutes of advertisements for beer just before the movie starts. Also, movies premiere much later here than in the states.  I saw some movies before I moved that won't be in theatres for another month.
The Grosevnor Cinema on Ashton lane.
- Phone plans are so much cheaper here!  Unlimited text, 400 local minutes, 120 international minutes and unlimited internet for about $30 a month.
- Sheets.  They don’t really seem to use flat sheets here; just a fitted sheet and duvet.  I had to go to about five stores to find a limited selection of flat sheets.
- TV commercials are strange.  Maybe I just don't get British humor.  For example:
Ridiculous.
- Customer service doesn’t seem to exist here.  When I called to set up the internet; they told me they could have someone out to the house in 2 weeks.  Maybe it was just my technology deprived state, but WHAT?  They ended up coming within a week and everything works great for a decent price, so I can’t complain.
- The weather.  It is August and currently 50 degrees F.  I love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment