Monday, September 12, 2011

Glasgow: The pub experience

As you all know, I am living in Glasgow, a city full of culture, history and of course pubs.  Thus I will review different pubs that we go to and our experiences there.

Okay, let's start with my only negative experience:

The Wise Monkey (Great Western Road)

Long story short: I ordered fish and chips.  It took an hour to get everyone else's meal.  They told me mine would be a bit longer because the first batch didn't end up right. Twenty minutes later, they come back and tell me they ran out fish.  Ordered veggie pasta.  Thirty minutes later, still no pasta.  We left and everyone else's meal was free.  The waiter was super nice and offered me his own cash to go buy a meal elsewhere.

Now on to the good:

Oran Mor (Great Western and Byres Road)

Awesome renovated church that houses two bars, two restaurants, a stage for plays and rooms for dancing/events.

Decent deals on drinks and very laid back atmosphere at the whiskey bar.

Pub downstairs

Upstairs for events


The outside.  Amazing, right?

The Grosvenor Cafe (Ashton Lane) -- formerly The Loft

Now, I know I just said it was a cafe, but this place is pretty damn amazing. It has beautiful high vaulted ceilings with wide open floor plan.  It is situated right above a movie theatre.  They have live music and an overall great environment with good snack foods. 

Outside



No comments:

Post a Comment